Keeping it alive
David Raleigh Arnold
2015-05-07 14:49:23 UTC
We don't want to let usenet die, do we? Metta, Vacanurukkhi
Keith Ramsay
2016-11-23 21:24:25 UTC
Is there some way to filter out the robo-posted off topic messages? There is a Google groups FAQ that says there is no such thing as filtering by user, but perhaps something could be arranged. I don't mind low volume, but wading through obnoxious posts meant to drown everybody actually interested in the topic of the group is likely to keep everybody away.
David Raleigh Arnold
2016-11-24 18:21:19 UTC
On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 13:24:25 -0800 (PST)
Post by Keith Ramsay
Is there some way to filter out the robo-posted
off topic messages? There is a Google groups FAQ
that says there is no such thing as filtering by
user, but perhaps something could be arranged.
I don't mind low volume, but wading through obnoxious
posts meant to drown everybody actually interested
in the topic of the group is likely to keep
everybody away.

I use AOIE and I don't get spam here, so I don't know
how to help except I noticed in the header to your
message that complaints should to sent to
groups-***@google.com
metta, Rale
Tharpa Roberts
2017-02-24 04:08:42 UTC
Post by David Raleigh Arnold
We don't want to let usenet die, do we? Metta, Vacanurukkhi
Hi, David,

Don't know if you remember me. This isn't actually Usenet, it is a Google Group I started after Usenet became overgrown with cross-spam. Who is the owner of this group now?
David Raleigh Arnold
2017-02-24 21:01:50 UTC
On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 20:08:42 -0800 (PST)
On Thursday, May 7, 2015 at 10:49:25 AM UTC-4, David
Post by David Raleigh Arnold
We don't want to let usenet die, do we? Metta,
Vacanurukkhi
Hi, David,
Don't know if you remember me.
Of course I do.
This isn't actually
Usenet, it is a Google Group I started after Usenet
became overgrown with cross-spam. Who is the owner
of this group now?
I have no idea. I've just posted here once in a
while from usenet to try to keep it alive.

Google is not to be trusted in any way, shape or
form. They own both Chrome and Firefox now.

There is another bad development which started with
HTML. The robots, such as googlebot, who crawl around
the web can read meanings into your pages that your
readers cannot, such as <em> for emphasis instead of
italic and <strong> instead of <bold> for type. Hidden
meanings in HTML is a terrible idea, but the
geeks don't see the problem.

Down with crossposters. Metta,
Vacanurukkhi
Tharpa Roberts
2017-02-26 22:24:44 UTC
[...]

I deleted my incorrect post, but not in time. This is actually a Usenet group. I found this old bookmark, and I momentarily got confused because I started a Google Group some years ago with the name religion.buddhist.theravada.

Glad you're doing well. Amazed that Usenet, in particular this group, is still alive.

Not sure why you think that Google owns Firefox, though. Firefox is owned by Mozilla, a non-profit. I would be surprised if Google supports Mozilla, as it's a competitor to Chrome.

I still go to the WBV from time to time.
May all beings, in or out of the womb, be well, happy and peaceful.
Gottfried Helms
2017-03-10 20:31:31 UTC
Post by Tharpa Roberts
Hi, David,
I deleted my incorrect post, but not in time. This is actually a Usenet group. I found this old bookmark, and I momentarily got confused because I started a Google Group some years ago with the name religion.buddhist.theravada.
Glad you're doing well. Amazed that Usenet, in particular this group, is still alive.
Not sure why you think that Google owns Firefox, though. Firefox is owned by Mozilla, a non-profit. I would be surprised if Google supports Mozilla, as it's a competitor to Chrome.
I still go to the WBV from time to time.
Nice to see some small motion of life ...

Metta -

Gottfried