Blocked, Again, By Google; High-Tech Zen ^
Disappointing Zen Stories
2008-07-04 21:30:52 UTC
Blocked, Again, By Google; High-Tech Zen ^

___ Blocked, In 2006 ____________________

For more than a year from late 2004 to early 2006, there were
successive efforts to block my postings (posted by hand, not by bot)
on Google Groups, previously known as Usenet. This blocking was
specifically to the alt.* groups which are unmoderated and supposedly,
according to the beginnings of Usenet, were originally meant to be the
Wild West of network computing.

For those who do not know, Usenet preceded the invention of the
Internet by many years, for some groups back to the ARPANet of the
early 1980s. So it would be preposterous for Google to attempt to own
Usenet or attempt to regulate the alt.* groups.

My postings to the alt.* groups related to Buddhism are a sore point,
especially to those inclined towards the distortions of Buddhism
collectively known as "Zen" or "Nichiren Shoshu".

After many attempts and around about June of 2006, finally, I was
blocked completely. My usual tricks to get around the blockage by
dynamism (trying to get past the blocking code by various means, like
multiple signons and IP addresses) no longer worked.

I was stumped and chanted a lot about it. I chant Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo
which is the practice of the Lotus Sutra, which sounds like ...
(http://www.sgi-usa.org/newmembers/resources/slowchanting.php)

Then I figured it out, it was so simple ... the size limits on posting
had been arbitrarily dropped from 100K bytes down to about 20K bytes,
which selected against most of my posts.

I post big files, so that I don't have to break them up into a lot of
little pieces in 5 or 10 part postings that would multiply my posting
footprint by a large factor. I don't post that often, so this would
mean a far more intrusive presence (and much more busy work for me).

Faced with the scale of the editing task, I went to post a complaint
about the blockage in Google Groups around November of 2006, and lo
and behold, the user interface had changed, and the 20K size limit was
back to 100K.

So I continued my previously-disrupted posting, and I posted a retro-
complaint entitled: "Previously Silenced By Google Groups ...", which
is located at... (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.zen/msg/
9bf0de38a7b98562?hl=en&)

____ Blocked Again, In 2008 _____________

And on I went for another year and a half until last month (May 2008)
when I noticed the user interface had changed yet again. Now, there
was a 'Captcha', which is a little entry-box for an image of a barely
readable text image, which defeats the 'bots', but not the humanoids
like myself.

However, many of my larger posts were blocked again. This was
different, though. Bigger posts were blocked, but size was not the
filter, content was the filter. Like in the case of Google China.

To analyze the content filtering, I took my blocked post entitled
"Makiguchi's Pacifism Confirmed, and Putative Scholar Brian Victoria's
Inaccurate Cherry-Picking Research Exposed, for Jon Petry -". This
post (pre-blocking) was originally located at:
(http://groups.google.com/group/alt.religion.buddhism.nichiren/msg/
80c76fb42ca89d25?)

That post describes a concerted and intense cowardly Zen attack
(supported by Nichiren Shoshu and other temples) on the deceased
founder of the SGI, Tsunesaburo Makiguchi. (If I describe it too much
here, this post will be blocked, too. So, go read it there.)

After removing and re-posting successively cut-down versions of this
post, I finally came down to a 1.6 KB version (which could have been
reduced further, but diminishing returns had been reached). Among
other text items in the remainder, the names of the three founding
High Priests of the Fuji school, the supreme object of worship and the
first two Presidents of the SGI were present. I am sure this is not a
complete list, since many other of my posts are also blocked.
Ultimately, this means that no one can talk about these topics in
Google Groups, otherwise, I would be able to get around these filters,
by dynamism.

Content-filtering is done by having a list of scored text items, which
if present raise the total score for a posting or writing or web page.
When a certain total score is reached, that scored post becomes
blocked.

This is a pain to do, unless you have intelligent tools: First you put
a list of all the posts, writings and web pages to be blocked on the
one hand (my posts, in this case), and the preferred posts, writings
and web pages to be allowed to be expressed freely, on the other hand
(all the rest of the posts of the Zen believers in alt.zen, in this
case). Then you run these two sets against topological text sorting
tools which arrive at two sets of possible expressions, and histograms
of those two sets. After a complicated kind of subtraction of the
combined preferred histogram from the blocked histogram, what you have
as the remainder is the filter (roughly). You test the filter by
running it against both sets and getting a zero result from the
preferred set and the largest possible filtration result against the
blocked set.

As an example, the famous Chinese human rights activist Huang Qi was
arrested on June 10th (last week) for possessing state secrets. He was
researching (for his website) the corrupt practices of the contractors
who built the hundreds of schools that collapsed during the school
session on the day of the Sichuan earthquake, and the malfeasance of
the government inspectors who were responsible for guaranteeing the
safety of those thousands of dead children, and the potential
government official cover up which is now attempting to point the
faulty finger of justice against a few selected unlucky scapegoats who
will receive the bullet in the head meant for the true perpetrators of
this holocaust against Chinese children, who did not have enough
political influence with the State to survive the earthquake. So, when
it came time to double the size of schools, they just simply added a
third and fourth story on schools engineered for two stories.

In China, state secrets are whatever the state prosecutors decide they
are ... in this instance - any information relating to this case.

Now, I guarantee you, that the NPR audio report on Huang Qi, any
textual web reports and this posting you are reading will never see
the light of day as a result of a Chinese Google search. Also, by no
accident, those URLs will not be accessible by Chinese Internet.

This, in a nutshell, is the power of Google to stifle free speech
across a society. And it's happening now in the West, as well.

____ Google Aligns With _________________
____ The Forces Of Evil _________________

At the very least, one individual Google employee has been using his
Google benefit of working on things not related to his job function,
by trying to block my posts, for some time, now ('the unseen actor').
At the worst, Google is consciously aligning with the forces of evil
against the Lotus Sutra and this practitioner of the Lotus Sutra
(constituting 'a broad conspiracy' against the Lotus Sutra). By
posting this protest publicly to alt.zen, I am effectively making all
cases equivalent to the latter case. Here's how that's done.

Upon reading this post, alt.zen will not be able to resist trumpeting
this 'triumph' of Zen over my efforts to refute their distortions, and
they will gloat over the public support of Google in this religious
discussion, by Google's suppression of my tiny half of it. That will
reach publicly enough into Google to make them complicit overall with
the 'unseen actor' doing the filtration, creating a 'broad
conspiracy'.

Google, having taken over Usenet as 'Google Groups', is now an
authority over what has been a public forum of expression since the
early 1980s. At its height, Usenet had many thousands of servers in
government facilities, businesses, schools and libraries all around
the world. Every posting to well-supported groups thus had many
thousands of copies distributed around the world. Usenet had a huge
data replication footprint. Upon the formation of Google Groups,
servers started to disappear as Google BECAME Usenet.

When Google Groups aligns with Zen against the Lotus Sutra and its
practitioner (me), it becomes what Nichiren Daishonin calls the "Third
Powerful Enemy", when a secular authority aligns with evil priests to
persecute the practitioner of the Lotus Sutra. (http://
www.sgilibrary.org/search_dict.php?id=2360)

The mere fact that I may appear to be unworthy is irrelevant. The
Lotus Sutra elevates and transports its practitioners, like a fly upon
the tail of Pegasus. (Even seemingly unworthy, but totally sincere
believers, such as myself.) That is the nature of the Supreme teaching
of the Buddha, the Lotus Sutra.

____ Cause And Effect ___________________

The title of the Lotus Sutra, which is also its practice, is "Nam-
Myoho-Renge-Kyo".

Nam = Devotion of ones life
Myoho = Wonderful Law or Mystic Law
Renge = Lotus or Entity of Cause and Effect
Kyo = Sutra or Teaching or Sound

The Law is causal, in that it contains cause and effect. Offend the
Law at the heart of the Lotus Sutra and you get effects which are
completely different from those of secular crimes.

Secular crimes affect this one provisional life and their effects will
mostly only plague you for this one provisional life, or into the next
one. Offenses against the Law manifest the truth of your life, of
uncountable existences from the beginningless past into the remotest
future.

Slander of the Law, such as Zen practice, or aligning with Zen in
attacking the Lotus Sutra and its practitioners, effectively rings the
eternity of your life, like a bell.

Nichiren Daishonin stated that there were two kinds of people who vex
the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra:

From the "Letter to Horen" Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, p. 522 ...
(http://www.sgilibrary.org/view.php?page=522)

. There are two types of people who show animosity toward
. the Lotus Sutra. The first are people who cultivated the
. roots of goodness in former existences, who in their
. present existence are searching for some connection with
. Buddhism, who conceive a desire for enlightenment and
. are capable of attaining Buddhahood. It is these people
. whose mouths are stopped or whose heads split apart.
.
. The other type are people who have slandered the correct
. teaching in their previous existences, slander it in
. their present existence, and for existence after
. existence go on creating karma that will condemn them to
. the hell of incessant suffering. These people, even
. though they may curse, will not have their mouths
. stopped. They are like men who have already been
. sentenced to execution and are awaiting their turn in
. prison. While they are in prison, regardless of what
. evil acts they may commit, they will receive no further
. punishment other than the death sentence already passed
. upon them. However, with regard to people who are
. eventually to be released, if they commit evil acts in
. prison, then they will receive warnings.

So, the first kind who actively seek enlightenment make a reverse
relationship with the Lotus Sutra, and receive the punishment of
having their heads split into seven pieces, and they eventually
recover and attain the way quickly.

The second kind appear to commit one mayhem after another against the
Lotus Sutra and its practitioners without receiving any effect
(creating widespread doubt in the veracity of the teachings and the
worthiness of its practitioners), and are only finally brought down in
the end. They are called 'icchantika' (Hindu) or 'issendai' (Japanese)
which both mean 'incorrigible disbelievers'. Like the original
Devadatta, Shakyamuni Buddha's cousin, who attempted to murder the
Buddha and take his place and distort his teachings, Zen and its
accomplices will eventually suffer a similar fate.

Which one is Google? Only time will tell.

The first time I was blocked in mid-2006, Google acquired Youtube for
more than a billion, whose IP had no technology that Google couldn't
do better, and only fleeting brand value (as Ebay, Myspace and
Facebook have discovered, once you peak it's hard to keep it up for
long. People are just not loyal, when it comes to their whimsy.)
Rapidly evolved buyer's remorse will never be revealed by the board,
but its presence is obvious by their subsequent caution. "Married in
haste, we may repent at leisure" - William Congreve (1693).

And now Mark Cuban is saying "Hulu is kicking Youtube's Ass." This is
by using Youtube's losing business model against them, calling it
"Youtube Arbitrage". Here's his blog posting ...
(http://www.blogmaverick.com/2008/06/16/hulu-is-kicking-youtubes-ass/)

However all that proceeds from the cause made in mid-2006, the evil
subsided quickly in November 2006, when Google Groups made a new user
interface with the old limits of 100KB for posts, and I went merrily
on posting as before. So, the corporate motto of "Do no evil.",
became, effectively, "Do no evil, and if you do, cease rapidly."

As those in fault-tolerance know, an average MTBF can be made into an
excellent availability by a very short MTR.

Why do nasty people like Mark Cuban and Bill Gates keep kicking the
ass off of Silicon Valley High Tech firms? I'll tell you a history and
give you the current status of the undermining of Silicon Valley by
Zen.

____ High-Tech Zen Stories ______________

1. Oracle's Zen founder Larry Ellison had a house built in Woodside by
a Zen priest Paul Discoe to look like a Zendo. The original house was
a historic treasure designed by architect Julia Morgan in 1913. She
also designed Hearst Castle, but Larry 'deconstructed' that beauty and
consigned its works to the dustbin, choosing instead cheesy
modernized-'authentic' Japanese styling a la Epcot (a wooden flute
plays in the background).
(http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article/article?f=/c/a/2001/03/27/
MN112442.DTL)
(http://docs.newsbank.com/g/GooglePM/SJ/
lib00188,103CE79D9982F052.html)

It cost him $60M+ and was scheduled to be complete in 2001 ... and may
not have actually been completed when he put it on the market for sale
in 2005, asking for $25M. Nice discount, has it sold? Who would buy
this cursed, evil castle?

His office in the emerald city towers looks like the martial-arts-
bakufu fantasies of a self-styled Shogun. Next thing you know, he'll
be taking hostages like Nobunaga and Hideyoshi did ... well, actually
his acquisitions are kind of like that. Maybe now there will be Sankin
Kotai-styled processions to his shrine in Woodside, like the Ieyasu-
cult worshiping at the Nikko shrine (just North of Edo) during
Tokugawa Iemitsu's reign.
(http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worldbiz/archives/
2003/06/17/2003055631/print)

Oracle continually loses the juicy, high-visibility, critical
computing accounts, because of this Zen connection. It is an all-
marketing outfit with perpetually flawed technology (for some
reason ...). The licensing contract with the users absolutely
prohibits any performance testing, to prevent any comparisons to
better performance, and to prevent the dissemination of info on how
Oracle performs if you don't do benchmarketing cheats. Because of
this, when users do compare serializable and reliable operations
platform to platform, Oracle doesn't look like such a prize. Some
stories on this ...

_ _ Oracle Zen Stories _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

[a.] When Target's (Compaq Nonstop) and Mervyn's (Oracle) CRM
databases were compared by Dayton-Hudson (who owned both companies),
they found that the Oracle systems were far more expensive to operate
because an army of operators had to continually build indexes to
support sales queries, because the Oracle query engine did not perform
well against the base tables. Not only that, but it took an hour to
build these indexes, so that queries were always against a fuzzy one-
hour-plus old dataset. Like any mainframe, the Nonstop SQL queries
went against the base tables and the results were never older than
when the query was started. The rumor was that Mervyn's CRM database
was ultimately recoded away from Oracle.

[b.] In 2001, EBay's IT leadership begged a prominent transaction
performance conference for help, because their Oracle database
required an hour to rebuild indexes, and so users could only find the
auctions they were seeking based on data that was between one hour and
two hours old. This had a deleterious effect on finding those auctions
based on last minute activity. The rumor was that IBM's mainframe DB2
guys came in and saved them from this cognitive dissonance.

[c.] When Citibank wanted to build a Worldwide Funds Transfer system,
a competition was held between three competitors: IBM Z/OS Sysplex
Mainframe DB2, HP 9000 Superdomes using Oracle, and Compaq Nonstop.
Within minutes of the beginning of the competition, the HP/Oracle team
was called in, and after a brief Q&A they were summarily dismissed
from the competition. No one outside of that office knows precisely
what was asked and answered. Was it something about having to bring
Oracle down to take database and catalog dumps before and after
changing the schema DDL (or doing just about anything?). Was it
something about the fact that after a crash, database integrity was
always lost, because they didn't do things correctly while they were
still in the steady state of 'up for business'? Was it that they
occasionally threw a redo record into the log to allow them to
summarily drop a pesky lock before commit, as a performance cheat?
Only Oracle knows - which piece of Zen was at fault.

[d.] While banks, exchanges and critical computing have been largely
smart enough to learn from their mistakes in selecting Oracle, run-of-
the-mill Fortune-500s and the government are not so smart. So you get
the churning of failed systems development with Oracle at the center
of it, irregardless of all the other variables: agency, contractor or
type of system. The pattern is that if Oracle is involved, tax dollars
go up in smoke with drastically reduced expectations in the end. The
FBI and the Virtual Case File system (VCF), the IRS and Tax Systems
Modernization (TSM) and many others have crashed and burned using
Oracle systems to the tune of billions wasted.

"The FBI spent $170 million on a 'Virtual Case File' system that does
not operate as required. After three years of work under a cost-plus
contract failed to produce a functional system, the FBI scrapped the
program and began work on the new 'Sentinel' Case File System...."
(http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/65108)

"In the mid-'90s, you couldn't swing an embattled CFO without hitting
a public company that blamed its disappointing financials on an ERP
implementation gone bad, but vendors SAP (NYSE: SAP) and Oracle (NSDQ:
ORCL) were often made the scapegoats, not the companies' own IT
organizations."
(http://www.informationweek.com/news/services/showArticle.jhtml?
articleID=192202116)
And that is true, the IT organizations WERE at fault in their
selection of Oracle Zen.

[e.] There ARE exceptions to this pattern: some critical computing
customers ARE ALSO not so smart. Bear Stearns WAS a top corporate
customer of Oracle's, a real shining star. Now Bear Stearns has become
a near miss with utter catastrophe for the economy, a source of
massive litigation and prosecution, and the poster child for the
subprime failure converting hidden chains of Collateralized Debt
Obligations (CDOs) into fully revealed chains of margin calls.

[f.] Financials like Bear Stearns, that lost their shirts, but
survived, have switched from betting the business on subprimes to
gambling on oil futures. This will finish off those rank and file
American families whose homes are now worth less or are in the red
against their sagging bank loan. Now these beleaguered people can no
longer afford to eat or go and take the kids to the doctor, because
the speculation on oil has meant that the entire family budget now
goes into the car's gas tank or the house's heating oil tank.
Amazingly, one of the two exchanges which determines oil futures is
the ICE Futures Europe (London), which is the only major exchange in
the world (that I know of) based on ... you guessed it ... Oracle. I
sense a coming peripeteia (reversal of fortune) for the oil gamblers
who believe they cannot possibly lose using Oracle technology.

"... leaders of the world's two leading oil exchanges, the New York
Mercantile Exchange and the ICE Futures Europe, based in New York and
London, respectively"
(http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121426978977398795.html?
mod=googlenews_wsj)

[g.] Waste Management had Oracle build their legacy systems, then had
enough of Oracle and switched their apps over to SAP's TomorrowNow
subsidiary. TomorrowNow, it turned out, had used stolen logons and
passwords from BEAR STEARNS to extract information from Oracle
accounts to steal a large portion of the Oracle customer base. Oracle
sued, the truth was revealed and SAP distanced themselves from
TomorrowNow at warp speed. The moral of the story is: you don't want
to be an Oracle customer, you don't want to maintain Oracle legacy,
and you don't even want to steal Oracle customers and maintain Oracle
legacy. Toxic Zen shock !!!

"SAP said more than 200 companies were taking advantage of its Safe
Passage program to move off apps acquired by Oracle." May 22, 2006
(http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/webdev/showArticle.jhtml?
articleID=188100623)

"... Oracle's allegation that SAP employees pretended to be Oracle
customers to log on to its Web site and copy proprietary technical and
customer-support data so it could provide lower-cost services to those
customers, with the eventual goal of luring them over to competing SAP
products." Nov 20, 2007
(http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/11/
sap_hopes_to_se.html)

"While Waste Management didn't provide details of its legacy systems,
it appears some were developed by Oracle (NSDQ: ORCL)-owned companies.
Waste Management used the services of SAP's TomorrowNow, a company
that provides third-party support for Oracle software such as Siebel
and JD Edwards, and is the subject of a lawsuit Oracle filed against
SAP last year." March 27, 2008
(http://www.informationweek.com/news/management/trends/
showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207000149)

[h.] Some years ago, a company called Innobase, with a product called
Innodb, did some very cute performance work based on MySQL. By
creating a new version of the storage/query engine for MySQL, which
did vertical partitioning, this meant that the index and database
blocks only contained info for one field (as opposed to the entire
record) against the primary record key, seriously reducing the numbers
of blocks fetched to do a partial scan for selects or nested loop
joins. Typically, database query plans are composed of sequential
table and index scans, selects, projects, sorts and joins and hash
equijoins on indexed keys (there are many variations on these) ... but
the partial table and index scans tend to precede the others in the
order, so this means something fundamental to the start-up time before
parallelism kicks in. You pay a price getting the pipelines
flowing !!! Cutting that fixed start up price substantially makes
shorter work of the whole business. For small queries this becomes an
even bigger deal. At the ends of query plans, the dataset sizes are
smaller, so they are equivalent to small queries and benefit from this
as well.

As soon as Innodb started to look to have potential, Oracle snapped
them up in 2005.

Amazingly, they recently compared their database against Oracle (not
listed as 'other'), PostgreSQL, and Microsoft (listed as 'other',
because they also do not allow users to print benchmark results).
(some of this is at http://www.innodb.com/innodb/benchmarks/)

Basically, Innodb killed the competition!!! But wait, it seems that
they ran the other databases without consulting the other vendors
(listing Microsoft as 'other' implies that). Oh, and the Innodb index
and data blocks were compressed (according to a presentation by J.D.
Duncan). So, you ask what about updates? It turns out the engine
somehow doesn't support them with compression, but they say that's
coming in a later release. (Hmmm.)

At that point, presumably, the update operation will decompress the
block, then update a row and recompress the block? Or maybe the
compression is only for part of the block. Since you need to read the
first part to find the things you need for a scan, or sometimes you
need the last part (offsets or pointers) to do a binary search, what
part would you compress? When you are doing a scan, and you fetch the
leading part of the block into the initial 2nd level cache line, then
you want to pull out the fields in it while cache prefetch is putting
the rest of the block into the following 2nd level cache lines, you DO
NOT want to stall for the VERY LAST 2nd level cache line in the block
to get filled so that you can decompress the block to look at that
initial 2nd level cache line you got ages ago. Finally, fast databases
use bigger block sizes (because you pay the I/O cost for the first 500
bytes and the rest is pretty much free, DMA-wise and 2nd level cache
prefetch wise), thus increasing the overhead and stall-time for
decompressing/recompressing the deluxe-sized index and data blocks.

Usually, naive users that deploy databases that support compression
for index and data blocks will turn on compression for both, then
immediately turn off index block compression due to the performance
hit, and somewhat later on, turn off data block compression. That is,
if they actually USE the database for something and want to USE the
indexes to find what they just did, which implies a moderate to heavy
update load during peak business hours when response time actually
matters. So block compression is anathema for the real-time or even
just online databases that people actually use and want to actually
see the results of their work, now.

So Innodb's block compression performance numbers are a crock.

But what about the improvements in the insert rate in that one
database test against PostgreSQL? Note that when compared to MyIsam of
MySQL, inserts on primary key were only a half a percent better. So,
no magic is involved. Basic MySQL beats PostgreSQL in some tests, too.
It's all in what tests you run, and how you set up the competition as
a straw man to beat the crap out of.

In a completely proctored TPC-C run (proctored by someone that
everyone could trust such as Chris Date, who used to proctor some of
these in the early days), there is a step where the fully running test
configuration, without ANY configuration or switches being changed, is
crashed and then brought back up to see if the database integrity is
correct to the last committed transaction before the crash. Doing as
the Innodb article suggests, and running some 'TPC-A-like' tests, non-
proctored, without the TPC-C crash test, means that any kind of funny
business can be happening.

In the old days, there were a multitude of rumors about this kind of
funny business from Innobase's new daddy, Oracle. Oracle has redo logs
which add redo records for every transaction, only to be used in
recovery after commit, and undo logs which add undo records only to be
used for uncommitted transaction recovery. Never the twain shall
meet ... mostly.
(http://www.juliandyke.com/Presentations/TransactionInternals.ppt)

In fact, if there were hotspots in the database during a benchmark,
Oracle (as rumor has it) would summarily drop the lock most
responsible for critical transaction rate slowdown (like the bank
branch balance in a TPC-C test) and add a redo record (something like
"no integrity for this record"), and sometime way later get around to
writing the transaction commit record, after which the pre-released
locks should have actually been released.

This violates the third letter of the ACID word, which is 'I' for
Isolation. It also violates the 'Log Serializability' part of
'C' (Consistency), in that you cannot sort the log by transaction
timestamp, rerun it and end up with the same database, which is a
constraint known as 'Sortable Transaction Histories' from Jim Gray/
Andreas Reuter's transaction processing book. (My German colleagues
call this book 'de berbel'.)

Why does the log matter? Because the log IS the database, the database
disk itself is never correct, and is mostly more than 5 minutes old,
due to the '5 minute rule' from the same book. And because (1) the
serializability of the log is broken from the lock release before the
commit record is written, and (2) the database disk never being right,
then the potential recovery of the database as a whole is never right:
a crash only reveals the truth of this. In a benchmark, you can take
measures in the application to make up for the broken reliability of
the RDBMS. In real life, application writers can rarely keep it
together to make these tricks work. This is why it is called a
'Benchmarketing Cheat', because regular users cannot make reliable use
of the vendor's published database 'performance'.

Oracle was rumored widely to be extremely crafty at these tricks,
called 'Benchmarketing', and this heritage has had time to be
transmitted into Innodb development since their purchase in 2005.

Innodb developers should beware this corruption of their personal
integrity (and the much worse Zen corruption of their lives) and run
for the hills !!!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

In the summer and fall of 1999, Bill Gates was finally, but briefly
surpassed as the richest man in the world as the stock price of Oracle
soared. Larry Ellison was crowned king, lifted aloft by Wall Street,
and Zen-man was finally paramount over a prostrate humanity.

The market immediately took a nose-dive in response to this evil
anomaly, and in the early spring of 2000 the Dotcom Bust was upon us.
Ellison's preeminence was brief, his plummet swift, and Larry's
leisure suit has never regained its luster since.

The nothingness beckons with a rapture ... the minions of Tenji-ma
(Heavenly Devil) seek that heaven, and focus on it with all their mind
and actions, taking all their friends and followers and supporters and
admirers with them into the abyss that unfolds before them.

From "The Opening of the Eyes", Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, p.
276 ...
(http://www.sgilibrary.org/view.php?page=276)

. The seventh volume of Great Concentration and Insight
. states: "In the past, the Zen master of Yeh and Lo [Note
. 200] became renowned throughout the length and breadth
. of China. When he arrived, people gathered around him
. from all directions like clouds, and when he left for
. another place, they formed a great crowd along the
. roads. But what profit did they derive from all this
. bustle and excitement? All of them regretted what they
. had done when they were on their deathbed."
.
. [Note 200: Later commentators identify the "Zen master
. of Yeh and Lo" with Bodhidharma, the founder of Zen in
. China. T'ien-t'ai, however, does not mention him or any
. other contemporary figure by name.]

Historically, after Oda Nobunaga was betrayed by Matsuhide and burned
alive with his son and heir in a temple, his abomination of a mixed
Buddhist-Shinto-bakufu-Gozan-Rinzai castle at Azuchi was put to the
torch almost immediately. Will there be a fire-sale in Woodside?

2. Steve Jobs is another Zen guy. Apple rid themselves of his
undermining presence in 1985, and later under Gil Amelio were
attempting to make the Macintosh an open hardware platform so that
they would be able to compete with the PC.

At one time in the past the Mac really threatened the PC and had over
10% market share. Then the fact that they never opened up the platform
so that many potential Mac-manufacturers could compete on price began
to bite into that. As of Q1 2008, in Gartner and IDC figures, even as
there is a 'huge growth' of Mac popularity, Macs only have "3.26
percent of the worldwide market for PCs and 6.26 percent of the US
market for PCs."
(http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2008/04/24/mac-
q1-2008-market-share-3-26-percent-worldwide-6-26-percent-in-the-
us.aspx)

And that is a local maxima, the Mac market share has been much lower
than that tiny resurgence !!

At one time, Apple CEO Gil Amelio wanted to open the Mac platform and
sell software like Bill Gates does on many hardware platforms, and
compete with Gates directly. He was undermined by employees who were
threatened by that change, and in 1996 Jobs came sailing back into
Apple on Pixar mojo and killed the open Mac platform move. Without
opening the hardware platform, the Mac will never get out of small
single digits, BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE AREN'T THAT FOOLISH ABOUT SINGLE-
SOURCE VENDOR LOCK-IN.

They are learning this same lesson again with the iPod, which "saw no
growth year-to-year in the crucial Christmas period. And there's only
one way to go from here: down."
(http://cultofmac.com/the-reason-behind-apples-stock-slide-the-ipods-
zero-growth/1695)

The iPhone and followons will suffer a similar fate.

Why? Because product innovation and marketing will get you only so
far, if you stick to a completely closed-platform legacy product (one
which cannot be purchased from someone else for cheaper).

The open-est is the best, and will win in the end.

Ultimately, all hardware platforms will be open hardware platforms.
That includes cash registers, autos and auto parts and refrigerators.
This is because future-users will want to upgrade their own software
into an open platform and integrate all their hardware into their cell
or wristwatch. Future-users will actually think this is baseline
behavior.

And then, ultimately, all software will become open and free (as in
freedom, not as in free beer). The Free Software Foundation describes
this in Richard Stallman's Four Freedoms: "Free software is a matter
of the users' freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and
improve the software."
(http://fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html)

Free software, under the GNU licensing and others which keep pace with
it, will allow you to do whatever you want with all of your open
platform hardware. What that means is that you own your stuff and
control it, and you are not at the mercy of someone else's software
legacy or closed hardware platform.

The Apple Mac is a great CONSUMER of open source in the form of Mach
and much other Unix software from his failed venture into the NeXT
workstation (sold a whopping 58,000 units), but the great majority of
Apple-provided software is not in any way open source or free.

What fascinates me is the attraction of this completely closed-
platform and legacy software of Apple products to the open source and
free software community. It is so schizophrenic as to be impossible to
comprehend. And if you talk about it openly, they will defend Apple as
open and free !! Unbelievable.

Steve Jobs acquired Pixar, because the founder of Muppet Zen, George
Lucas, had his beloved wife Marcia betray him and turn on him, and
then demand everything in the divorce. That pressure left him
incapable of giving his animation unit the start it deserved, so he
passed it to Apple Zen-master Steve, who used Pixar to become a
billionaire. Thanks, Marcia !!

Steve Jobs' rise with Pixar from 1986 was aided by his collaboration
with Michael Eisner at Disney. Michael Eisner paid the price of
lifting the Zen-man back into prominence after Jobs' ousting from
Apple in 1985. As a reward, Eisner was ultimately turned out of Disney
after he lifted Disney into unprecedented corporate supremacy. A
magnificent Eisner castle was built with great effort, but was
undermined by a single nest of Zen-Jobs termites. Thanks, Michael !!

In the last few years Steve Jobs has been borne aloft yet again by
Wall Street as their favorite son, their anointed one. He has been
celebrated from one end of Wall Street to the other, as the Zen master
of innovation. As this was occurring, in the same way it happened with
Larry Ellison 10 years before, Wall street was digging the hole under
the foundations of their collective houses, into which vast abyss the
economy is now falling. The new iPhone is Jobs' last gasp ... will the
masses buy in to yet another of the Zen-man's innovations? That dread
choice is theirs to make.

3. Creative's Zen Micro ... Give me a break. Is this a Zen plot to
force people to buy the iPod? Talk about a false choice.

4. If you sat down at a workstation in schools, or libraries, or
government institutions all over the world ... and as the desktop
management system started up (the DMS keeps the public from hijacking
the PC in some nefarious way) and the splash screen declared ...

| JESUSSAVES DESKTOP MANAGEMENT

... then anyone and everyone would immediately recognize an intent to
openly propagate the Christian religion using a user interface on a
workstation paid for by public money. However, because it is a Novell
product, it comes up and instead declares ...

| ZENWORKS DESKTOP MANAGEMENT

... which IS more subtle and subliminal, and while it is perhaps more
effective than the in-your-face Christian form, it nevertheless
consists of an inappropriate religious propagation by use of the tax-
supported infrastructure of the government.

Independent of the question of whether Zen works and how and what it
actually produces, the declarative statement that it indeed does work,
with the positive implication that it brings benefits, does not belong
on any splash screen in a government supported facility anywhere
inside the United States, and certainly not in front of the eyes of
young impressionable students, over and over every time they log on.

Zen is a religion, with priests and temples, and Zendos (community
centers), that has more than one tax-ID for making tax-exempt
donations, and its own head temples in Japan.

Either each public institution supporting the workstation needs to
kill the splash screen, or Novell needs to change it in their product.

Were I a Christian, this posting might seem more obviously predictable
in motive, but in fact I am a Nichiren Buddhist with the SGI.
Christians might be somewhat more unpleasant in pointing out this
anomaly, had it occurred to them what is happening.

Whatever one's religious bent, the First Amendment to the Constitution
states:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,
or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of
speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to
assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Establishing that 'Zen works' is not the right of any public
institution to make using tax dollars.

Now to address the context of the message implying that 'Zen works'.
Zen does indeed work, but perhaps not happily for humanity.

Zen philosophy and the religious control of Japan's military from
First World War forward, engineered the aggressive military wartime
machine, and guaranteed the fanatical support of the Japanese people
by hijacking all of Japanese Buddhism into an Imperial Way Buddhist
structure under the military regime of Tojo (who was executed as a war
criminal).

From Pearl Harbor, through Iwo Jima and the bombings at Hiroshima and
Nagasaki, the fanatical nature of the Japanese side of the conflict
pretty much guaranteed the miserable outcome of that war. Zen does
indeed, work, like crazy. Incalculable misery was inflicted on our
Allied military soldiers, sailors and airmen who had the misfortune to
encounter the business end of Bushido in all of its forms, defeating a
fanatical enemy on one island after another. Their suffering means
something. Are we to remember their valor by propagating that which
was the true source of their suffering? They deserve better from their
tax-sponsored public service, than this.

There is book by Iris Chang, called "The Rape of Nanking : the
forgotten holocaust of World War II", which describes how the Imperial
army brought along Zen priests to Nanking, where they instructed the
soldiers and officers as they used tens of thousands of captives and
innocents for beheading swordsmanship practice, and with the victim's
hands tied in ditches that they could not escape for bayonet practice
- while screaming their war-cries in mock heroics, and for general
mayhem and sport. Zen worked pretty well for those perpetrators, but
not for their Holocaust victims.

There is a companion book by James Lin, called "The rape of Nanking :
an undeniable history in photographs", and this has to be seen to be
believed. Apparently all the Japanese soldiers brought their cameras
and gleefully snapped atrocity after atrocity with thousands of
pictures. So, it's not a Holocaust that can be effectively denied,
although the Zen infrastructure still in place in Japan has somehow
successfully denied what the Nazis could not conceive of denying. So,
Zen has worked for that purpose of criminal amnesia, too.

Novell should carefully consider its motives for propagating Zen in
schools and libraries across the nation.

5. Sometimes the Zen people in a company are not famous or
identifiable, and the Zen influence is only made obvious by cryptic
references. One way is to use a company or product name that contains
the word 'Zen' or a soundalike to 'Zen', such as we've just seen in
Novell Zenworks.

Another way is in the construction of marketing, documentation
materials or the product website to use identifiable Zen objects, like
a miniature raked Zen sand garden, with a tiny rake, or by using a
Daruma doll with those huge lidless eyes and withered limbs (modeled
after Bodhidharma himself, after 11 years meditating in the cave near
the Shaolin monastery in Lo-Yang), or by using one of those piles of
four, five or six flat stones laid on each other in an orderly way, or
by using a Bushido martial arts motif (Bushido and Gozan Rinzai Zen
were wedded in the Bakufu during the Ashikaga Shogunate from the early
14th to late 16th centuries in Kyoto, and then the dedicated slave-
mindedness was set in stone under the Tokugawas by Zen monk Suzuki
Shosan in the 17th).

Cloud computing, for the moment, seems to have become dominated by
Xen, which seems to be the virtualization of choice.

The Xen books have those characteristic flat stones piled, just so, on
their covers.

Let's talk about simulation, which is at the core of how
virtualization works.

Every flight module or payload that launches from Cape Canaveral goes
through 7 levels of integration and test, the final level being the
payload bay of the shuttle, or the payload package of another space
vehicle. If the payload is to be integrated onto a platform on-orbit
such as the Space Station (ISS) or the Hubble (HST), then there is an
eighth level of integration on-orbit. In the case of the ISS, the
pieces to be integrated may never have been on the same continent at
any time before on-orbit, and yet everything must hook up and work
correctly.

With that many steps, there are many times where flight modules need
to be tested against hardware and software interfaces which are not
immediately present at the integration testing facility of that
moment: University, Corporate, other NASA, ESA, Russian or Japanese
Space Center, Payload Integration Facility (PIF), Vertical and
Horizontal Payload Facilities (VPF, HPF), Vehicle Assembly Building
(VAB), and the vertical payload canisters being integrated into the
Payload Changeout Room (PRC) on the Rotating Service Structure (RSS)
of the launch pad, finally swiveling over the flame trench to
integrate the vertical payload directly into the payload bay of the
shuttle.

In all those places simulations or emulators are necessary for
integration and testing procedures (I&T) to execute AT ALL, or
optimally, to execute and render a useful test result for verification
and validation (V&V).

Hence, NASA and its contractors, I submit to you, are the true masters
of the engineering, science and art of simulation. And at NASA, the
fidelity of any simulation is a critical characteristic.

The lowest fidelity simulation is a software interface or stub
returning some values that the I&T suite will tolerate without
reducing V&V.

The highest fidelity simulation is an identical piece of the hardware
that the flight module under test will ultimately be mated with. Of
course this 'hardware simulation' will not be flight-ready, will not
have paid the human cost of I&T and V&V up the chain to this point
(which is most of the cost in the long run), and only has to be solid
enough not to corrupt the flight hardware with outgassing, or fluids,
or whatever mechanical foul-ups can occur to render the flight module
not flight-ready anymore.

Viewed through the lens of actual professional simulation, the highest-
fidelity simulation for a PC operating system would be the hardware
itself: a high end PC. Maybe it would have a digital scope or data
analyzer or another computer attached for catching traces of
execution. This would allow you to get the same performance on the
disk, network and graphics data transfers, and also get the native
timing characteristics to catch those rotten race conditions that are
hard to catch in any other way. Whatever expected or surprising
synchronization issues are the property of the operation system, you
would want to see them in the highest-fidelity simulation.

A high-fidelity simulation for a PC O/S is called 'native
virtualization', where the unadulterated operating system can run out
of the box against a hardware/software interface and experience the
same or 'native' performance - not just in execution, but also in the
disk, network and graphics I/O. This you get in an unrestricted way
(SMPs, any arbitrary OS, etc.) only from some IBM's PowerVM and z
LPARs, and the RTS Hypervisor. Possibly, when IBM's 'Blue Cloud' cloud
computing facility gets rolling, it will support this kind of
'software as a service' (SAAS) platform. Microsoft is rumored to be
hatching something like this as well, which will probably be more like
Google's hosting service, but with a more 'enterprise' focus.

A medium-fidelity simulation for a PC O/S is called a 'near-native
virtualization', where the unadulterated O/S can run out of the box
against a hardware/software interface and experience decent
performance with some drop-off, but the relative I/O speeds are not so
far off that the software does not function normally. This you get in
an unrestricted way from Integrity Virtual Machines, Linux KVM,
Virtual Iron, VMWare ESX Server, and IBM's z/VM.

A low-fidelity simulation for a PC O/S is called a
'paravirtualization' (or mixed p&v), where the O/S must be modified to
run against the 'hypervisor' (they make this sound like a 'cool'
feature), and where there is substantial reduction in performance
especially where disk, network and graphics I/O are concerned. This
you get in an unrestricted way from Sun xVM, Trango, VirtualLogix VLX,
VMWare Fusion/Server/Workstation/Player and Xen.

Then there's the bottom of the barrel using 'emulation' such as Bochs,
Dosbox, PearPC, QEMU (dynamic recompilation IS emulation), Virtual PC
(same). Stay away from the free toys, your time is not free.

Xen, which is a lo-fi simulation of a PC, has become the favorite of
the early cloud computing alternatives like Amazon Web Services (AWS),
3tera, nirvanix, zmanda, heroku, joyent, etc. So, disk and network
performance will suck, for as many servers as you want to start. Xen
is popular, because it is free. However, free Zen is not really free.

Can't we do better than Xen? We deserve better than simply 'free, as
in beer', but still lousy in performance and corrupted to boot.

6. Web 2.0 is based partly on dynamic languages (also on Java, and
Javascript/XML/XHTML for Ajax or Flash on the client side) supported
by web servers, and partly on the frameworks that run in those
languages.

The three most popular dynamic languages are PHP (largest community),
Ruby (backed by IBM and Microsoft) and Python (Google's favorite).
Perl was the first Web 2.0 dynamic language supporting .cgi webpage
generation under the Common Gateway Interface, but Perl's quirkiness
("You must think like Larry Wall" -Randal Schwartz) ultimately limited
its future.

PHP looks the most like HTML. In fact, you can convert a .html file to
a .php file with a couple of small edits. PHP is included in the list
of object-oriented languages with Ruby and Python, but it's not an
easy relationship between PHP and OO.

Perl, PHP, Ruby and Python are all reflective, in that code can alter
its own behavior (for example, types can be extended during execution,
etc.) That makes an interpreted program have a certain amount of
liveliness, flexibility and hence, unpredictability to it.

Ruby and Python have strong typing, where operations are prevented
from operating on ARGUMENTS of the wrong type. That reduction of
unpredictability from strong typing offsets reflectiveness in a nice
way. Python further reduces this by being the only one of the four
languages to be considered 'type-safe', in that RESULTS are
structurally defined by their type to not receive erroneous results
which would lead to anomalies. In both Ruby and Python, if it's
supposed to be a duck, it must talk and walk like a duck, or it's an
error.

PHP is weakly typed, and operations are not prevented from making
clearly meaningless evaluations, which leads to quirkiness, not unlike
that of Perl (also weakly typed). PHP and Perl force the programmer to
deal with far fewer immediate problems (the code always runs), but
then again you don't catch your bugs so easily and bug hunts can go on
for days. Some things in PHP have compensated for this, for instance
the string concatenation operator is the period ".", so that an
unfortuitous conversion to a string will not change a numeric addition
"+" into a string concatenation. But why fix it if it wasn't broken?

All in all, not a good design heritage for PHP, in comparison to its
competitors.

All three popular languages have frameworks. If you were to look at 50
examples of large successful applications in a given programming
system, you would see that there is a lot of commonality in their
overall top-down structure, and also there is a lot of repetition in
the utility code that is shared commonly bottom-up throughout those
systems. Combine all the bottom-up utility code and strip out the top-
down skeleton that is common between all the 50 systems (in a rational
and effective way) and you would end up with a framework for
programming systems. You would use it by satisfying framework calls
with the procedures you would supply, because frameworks mostly
operate by the Hollywood Principle ("Don't call us, we'll call you.")
And, of course, you would use the shared framework utilities in your
code.

Each of the three most popular languages has over a dozen frameworks,
but let's just talk about the most popular ones ... Ruby has its Ruby
on Rails framework, Python has Django and TurboGears and PHP has three
of its own: CakePHP which is a takeoff on Ruby on Rails, Symfony and
the dreaded Zend.

Zend has been working its way throughout the PHP realm for some time,
now. It has maintained its position as a top framework, by innovating
and borrowing the finest functionality and code from Django, etc. Zend
is keeping up with or staying just ahead of Symfony. Also, Zend has
made itself the 'best friend' of the PHP programmer, by supplying PHP
plugins for the Eclipse IDE for any purpose. Now in version 5 of PHP,
when you do a PHPInfo call from the web server, you see a couple of
dozen references from Zend, which has thoroughly incorporated its
'essence' into the heart of PHP.

In the past tense, PHP has been Zend. Eclipse is next on the Zend
Agenda.

As of this writing, PHP 5 has been installed in about 36% of the PHP
accounts, double from last year. That means that it will likely top
50% sometime this year.

Zen is a catastrophic distortion of Buddhism. Referring to Zen in your
product name implies that the same evil is present in the minds of
developers. Now, you can't say that you weren't warned about this.

7. Ruby is a very popular language invented by Yukihiro "Matz"
Matsumoto, a Japanese Mormon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Yukihiro_Matsumoto), and includes IBM and Microsoft among its ardent
supporters. There is a Java version of Ruby named JRuby, that is close
to the latest Ruby version and supports just-in-time compilation.

JRuby has the added advantage of having access to the entirety of the
Java Class Libraries (JCL). That includes Java Types, JavaBeans, Java
Events, Java Streams, AWT, JFC/Swing, JavaFX, JDBC, and Applets.

When you invoke Java classes from JRuby, it's a heck of a lot easier
than the equivalent invocation from Java code: JRuby generates a lot
of the declaration and wrapping code for you. So, for lazy programmers
(most of us are) JRuby on Java makes JCL programming a breeze, and
even enjoyable.

The Ruby on Rails framework has its limits: it is single threaded and
will stay that way.

Ruby is reflective and dynamic, so it modifies its own classes in real-
time, and Rails modifies its classes and its metadata in real time,
and there are simply too many levels of modifying to have to thread-
block, and make critical sections for (or something), to make a multi-
threaded Ruby on Rails. So it will never thread-scale, only scaling up
by running multiple instances of Ruby on Rails.

For the very same reason, IMHO, this is the common fate of all the
popular frameworks that run on dynamic languages: Rails, Django,
TurboGears, CakePHP, Symphony, and the dreaded Zend. If any of these
become multi-threaded, the result will be highly limited and
perpetually fragile, like the Microsoft frameworks (MFC, OLE,
and .NET). A maintenance nightmare !!!

Of course, human beings often accomplish what I see as impossible, so
those who try to multi-thread the frameworks could surprise me.

Once you can accept the single-threaded limitation, Ruby/JRuby on
Rails ain't so bad.

Ruby Gems is the management system for plugin components into the Ruby
language and runtime system. Ruby Gems itself appears copacetic, but
some of the Gems that it can load into your system are very bad for
your life condition and future happiness. There is a Zen Spider
spinning its web in Ruby Gems.

Zen Spider Software, which uses the initials ZSS in some directories,
is the product of a Zen mind. ZSS products include ...

| Apache::ContentHandler
| Coco/R(uby): LL Parser Generator for Ruby
| DropUNIX
| ParseTree
| RubyInline
| Struct::Compare
| ZenGUI
| ZenHeaders
| ZenTest: Automated test scaffolding for Ruby
| ZenWeb

Beware the toxic bite of the Zen Spider. You've been warned.

Other than the ZSS Gems and products, Ruby seems pretty clean , so if
you are selective and do not download all the Gems in an impure lump,
that result should be relatively Zen-less and mostly complicity-free
of slander and distortion of the Buddhist Law (as far as is known at
present).

8. Python is another very popular language invented by Dutch
programmer Guido van Rossum, and includes Google among its ardent
supporters. Python is the only dynamic language provided by the Google
App Engine facility to support customer applications running on the
Google cloud, at present.

Sad to say, Guido's lifestyle includes a distortion of Buddhism. From
his personal home page (http://www.python.org/~guido/) ...

| "OK, here's one non-computer link: Contact Improvisation -
| a relaxing mix of modern dance, yoga, martial arts, and
| just being silly. I can be found at the Washington, DC
| jam on some Sunday afternoons."

Before you say I am just being picky, listen to the logic of my
argument, in 3 parts.

[a.] The martial arts are a distortion of Buddhism.

All of the martial arts stem from either China, or a later evolution
in Japan.

The Chinese martial arts stem from Kung Fu which originates in the
Shaolin Monastery at Lo-Yang. Lo-Yang is where Bodhidharma (AKA Ta-Mo,
Da-Mo or Daruma in Japan) invented Zen by stealing the name of
Buddhism, by discarding the sutras or teachings of the Buddha
(including the highest teaching of the Buddha, the Lotus Sutra which
the Buddha described as his true intent), and by mixing Hindu
meditation (Dhyana in a seated Yoga posture) with Taoism to meditate
upon natural phenomena instead of the Buddha's teachings to free the
mind. The mind, once freed in such a way, will have a strong tendency
towards evil, BECAUSE of the distortion and slander of Buddhism
involved.

It was at the Shaolin Monastery that Kung Fu (which existed before
that time) was infused with Bodhidharma's new abomination to create an
even greater distortion: Buddhism as the art of spectacular and
stylish murder. Many varying schools and added distortions later, the
"Fist Law" (Chuan Fa, Guan Fa), or "fist principles" were invented.
The Chinese character Fa is in fact, the very same character Fa in
Miao-Fa-Lien-Hua-Ching, which is the Chinese pronunciation of the same
5 characters, which in Japanese are pronounced Myoho-Renge-Kyo, which
is the name of the Lotus Sutra.

So, Chuan Fa is a Chinese Zen (Ch'an) practice in direct opposition to
Miao-Fa, the Mystic Law or the Wonderful Law of the Lotus Sutra. And
in Japanese, Chuan Fa is pronounced Kempo (Ken + Ho is pronounced
Kempo in Japanese) a Japanese Zen practice in direct opposition to
Myoho, the Mystic Law or the Wonderful Law of the Lotus Sutra. The
grappling martial arts spring from Kung Fu and and Tai Chi, its
brother from the Shaolin Monastery. Karate and the striking martial
arts spring from Chuan Fa or Kempo. Other grappling martial arts such
as Jiu-Jitsu and Judo are designed as a counter to Kempo and Karate,
and thus are their children as well.

The Japanese martial arts, collectively under the umbrella of Bushido,
had their practices formalized under the Ashikaga Shogunate (early
Muromachi period) and especially the Tokugawa Shogunate. Under the
Ashikaga, Gozan (Five Mountains) Rinzai Zen became a branch of the
bakufu or military government, which made Gozan its official religion
in 1340. Bakufu officials made decisions in Gozan appointments, and
Gozan priests consulted in bakufu matters. About the same time, the
Tendai (Lotus Sutra) Buddhists at Mt Hiei, re-wrote history to
ingratiate themselves with the new Kyoto Shogunate of the Ashikaga,
the gradually diminished Imperial family and Yoshida Shinto.

The Tendai did this by going along with Yoshida Shinto's new theory,
of newly interpreting the writings of Dengyo (Saicho) the founder of
Tendai Buddhism in Japan, who brought the Lotus Sutra to Japan in the
early ninth century. In this profoundly evil act of distorting
Buddhism and destroying their founder's intent, they reversed Dengyo's
view that the Kami (gods or benevolent forces) were the emanations of
the Buddha's life, and instead established that Dengyo just the
reverse ... that the gods and especially Amaterasu were the deity
(Sanno Gongen) of the Tendai shrine at Mt. Hiei, which became
effectively a Shinto shrine in support of the main shrine at Ise
worshipping the Imperial family, who were believed by Shinto to be
descended from Amaterasu.

In the early 17th century, under the Shogun Tokugawa Iemitsu, this
distorting of Tendai faith in the Lotus Sutra was completed under the
Tendai monk Tenkai. Tenkai actually invented a conversation between
Dengyo and the Hiei deity (Sanno Gongen), where Dengyo revealed that
Sanno was the universal god of gods and superior to all the Buddhas (a
total reversal of the Lotus Sutra). This god of gods was identified as
Iemitsu's grandfather Ieyasu, the founder of the Tokugawa Shogunate,
which made Iemitsu also sacred by descent. And Ieyasu's ashes could
conveniently be worshipped by frequent pilgrimages of all the lords
and high priests of all of the temples under Sankin Kotai, to the NEW
Shinto head shrine at Nikko, north of Edo (Tokyo) where the Tokugawas
ruled. This replaced and sidelined the Emperor and his shrine at Ise,
until the Meiji Restoration 250 years later switched from the new
Shinto abomination back to the old one. Tenkai placed all of his new
Shinto under the rubric of tendo, or the heavenly way. Each successive
dictator, Nobunaga, Hideyoshi, Ieyasu had their own tendo, which was a
distortion of Buddhism. However, it was Iemitsu's new tendo that
finally stuck for 250 years, more than long enough to produce a
complete alteration in the fabric of Japanese society.

This distortion of Buddhism was the ultimate intent of Gozan Rinzai
Zen in the Bakufu headed by Iemitsu, to control the power structure of
the entire country through distorting Buddhism, and by the perpetually
draining pilgrimage of the elite. The masses were controlled by a new
philosophy created by the Zen monk-soldier Suzuki Shosan, who made
them effectively slaves who had no thought but serving their lord, and
who now considered all of the Buddha's teachings as a waste of time
(theoretical) to be replaced by a new Buddhist practice, which was
serving and dying at the merest whim of one's lord, and having no
thought other than that single-minded desire, to gain entry into the
pure land of the Nembutsu West. Some quotes from Suzuki Shosan ...

| "Be earth, become earth."
|
| "If you entrust everything to Heaven, keep upright and
| do not dwell on your selfish desires, you will receive
| Heaven's blessing and both this life and the next will
| be fine"
|
| "to receive life as a peasant is to be an official
| entrusted by Heaven with the nourishment of the world.
| Without the least thought for your body, entrust it
| single mindedly to Heaven and thus work in the fields in
| true service to tendo"
|
| "Any occupation (jigyo) whatsoever is Buddhist practice.
| It is on the basis of men's actual work that Buddhahood
| is to be attained. There cannot be any activity that
| falls outside Buddhist practice because everything one
| does is for the good of the whole world"
|
| "Peasant work is Buddhist practice and not a shameful
| occupation (sengyo) ... when you put yourself into each
| sweep of the sickle and labour without other thought,
| the fields are the Pure Land"
|
| "Imagine the agony when your crop will not pay your
| taxes and debts, of having to sell your wife and your
| daughters, of having to part from them in this life and
| of having to move to a far-off province"
|
| "what shall we judge to be good and what bad? We truly
| must realize that all things are one"
|
| "A lord is a lord, an inferior is an inferior, a parent
| is a parent, a child is a child, and each will be taken
| to places either good or bad according to their karmic
| order."
|
| "Shingaku [the popular Mind Learning] addresses itself
| to works (gyo) so it can be practiced just like that,
| whereas my teachings are ascetic practice (shugyo) that
| addresses the mind ... [in the] batabata of gunfire he
| puts his meditation into action"
|
| "The samurai who stands on guard duty is practicing
| zazen (Zen meditation)."
|
| "To cultivate the mind is thus to destroy it."
|
| "Buddhism (like Taoism and Confucianism) is all about
| intellectual discrimination (funbetsu) and the
| interpretation of texts"
|
| "A monk said: 'Abbot Ikkyu asked if a liar goes to hell
| what one has to make of Sakyamuni, who made up things
| that never were. Why does the Buddha tell falsehoods
| too?' The Master replied: 'It is precisely because
| Sakyamuni and Amida told lies that they are Buddhas. If
| they told the truth they would be ordinary men."
|
| "[Beware] the disease of Buddhism"
|
| "I know nothing about Buddhism"

On the point of the third quote from the last, Shakyamuni Buddha and
Nichiren Daishonin made the point clearly that the Buddha is a common
mortal. They told nothing but the truth, because they WERE ordinary
men who embraced the Mystic Law.

The intent of Suzuki Shosan was to serve the Tokugawas by transforming
the Japanese people into a race of willing robots with no thought
other than the military (bakufu) leadership's Gozan Rinzai Zen
thought. And for the bushi (warrior class) that meant transforming
them into mindless killing robots. The Japanese people were actually
quite different before all of this ... before Suzuki Shosan, who was
the great Devadatta of Japan betraying the common people ultimately
into defeat and destruction in the Pacific War. It was not their
fault ... Suzuki Shosan, Tenkai and the Tokugawa were their
circumstances.

So, in a nutshell, that is Bushido, the "Way of the Warrior" which is
the supporting framework for the elite Tendo, the "Way of Heaven". All
of the Japanese martial arts are a formal expression of Suzuki
Shosan's slave-mind of mixed and distorted Buddhism, in support of a
remote and meaningless religious practice of the elite, to the
ultimately evil purpose of a military dictatorship. And that is
nothing to celebrate or dance about.

All of the martial arts come from either the Chinese source, or the
Japanese source, or a mixture of both profound evils.

[b.] As I stated above, seated Zen meditation and Hindu meditation
(Dhyana) in a seated Yoga posture are pretty indistinguishable at a
glance. In truth, the founder of Zen, Bodhidharma, hated the Buddha
and his teachings and was really a throwback to Hinduism, until he
mixed it all together with Taoism after encountering it in China. This
is why Zen occurred there, because only at that place and time were
all the ingredients present for this catastrophic mixture.

Yoga, itself, is listed by Nichiren Daishonin as a practice of
provisional Buddhism.

Nichiren Daishonin (in the Rooster Diagram) lists the five periods of
the Buddha's teachings as:

. 1. Preaching the Flower Garland Sutra, 21 days.
. 2. Preaching the Agama sutras (Hinayana), 12 years.
. 3. Preaching the Correct and Equal sutras and
. 4. Preaching the Wisdom sutras (provisional Mahayana),
. [ periods 2 & 3 together ] 30 years.
. 5. Preaching the Lotus Sutra (preceded by the Immeasurable
. Meanings Sutra), 8 years, and Preaching the Nirvana Sutra,
. one day and one night.

Under the Correct and Equal sutras, Nichiren includes the following
treatise:

From the "Rooster Diagram of the Five Periods of the Buddha's Lifetime
Teachings", WND II, p. 1036 ...

. The Treatise on the Stages of Yoga Practice
. 100 volumes
. spoken by Bodhisattva Maitreya and
. recorded by Bodhisattva Asanga

Hence, Nichiren Daishonin specifically includes Yoga as a provisional
Mahayana practice, which is extraneous to the practice of the Lotus
Sutra, which is the Buddha's true intent in all of this.

Furthermore, Nichiren Daishonin lists the Yoga Sutras of Bodhisattva
Maitreya specifically within the teachings of the 3rd provisional
Mahayana period of the Buddha's teachings, and the Yoga sutras would
be therefore be considered a "connecting teaching", or introductory
Mahayana (we are way past the time for anything good coming from this
kind of introduction).

In both the Lotus Sutra (the Buddha's highest teaching) and the
Nirvana Sutra (the Buddha's final will and testament), the Buddha
implores his followers to honestly discard provisional teachings, such
as the connecting teachings, which include "The Treatise on the Stages
of Yoga Practice." And practicing is not honestly discarding.

[c.] Then there is the eternally popular practice of distorting
Buddhism by mixing and then mixing it again with more crap. There is
no innocence in this, and no matter how many times it has been mixed,
each time makes the evil successively worse and is a greater evil
cause for the misery of humanity.

From "Letter to Akimoto", Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, pp.
1014-1015,
(http://www.sgilibrary.org/view.php?page=1014)

. ... we may be the kind of practitioners of the Lotus
. Sutra whose mouths are reciting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo one
. moment, but Namu Amida Butsu the next. This is like
. mixing filth with one's rice, or putting sand or pebbles
. in it. This is what the Lotus Sutra is warning against
. when it says, "Desiring only to accept and embrace the
. sutra of the great vehicle and not accepting a single
. verse of the other sutras." [Note 1: Lotus Sutra, chap.
. 3.]
.
. The learned authorities in the world today suppose that
. there is no harm in mixing extraneous practices with the
. practice of the Lotus Sutra, and I, Nichiren, was once
. of that opinion myself. But the passage from the sutra
. [that I have just quoted] does not permit such a view.

From The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings (Ongi Kuden),
p. 50, Lotus Sutra Chapter Three, "Simile and Parable", Point Six ...

. Point Six, regarding the words "all [acting] at the same
. time" in the passage "Heavenly beings made music, a
. hundred, a thousand, ten thousand varieties, all
. [acting] at the same time in the midst of the air,
. raining down quantities of heavenly flowers and speaking
. these words:"
.
. The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings says: The
. word "time" refers to the time of the Latter Day of the
. Law. "All [acting]" refers to Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. "All"
. refers to the words "in the end to dwell in the single
. vehicle" in the passage "As the light of the sun and
. moon / can banish all obscurity and gloom, / so this
. person as he passes through the world / can wipe out the
. darkness of living beings, / causing immeasurable
. numbers of bodhisattvas / in the end to dwell in the
. single vehicle" (chapter twenty-one, Supernatural
. Powers). Now Nichiren and his followers center on the
. five characters of the daimoku AND ARE NOT CONCERNED
. WITH ANY OTHER PRACTICES.
.
. Again the Record says: The words and sayings of the Ten
. Worlds are all activities springing from a single
. chanting of the daimoku. How then could they fail to
. have an effect?

You mix Buddhism with anything, ever, WITH THE GUARANTEED RESULT OF
MISERY. It does not matter how many times the mixture including
Buddhism was mixed before, your new admixture is your own personal
lead weight to carry through eternity. Oh, and everyone who is with
you is complicit with your evil act.

So, everyone depending on the brilliance of Guido van Rossum's life
product is with him when he does his "Contact Improvisation" doing his
"just being silly" dance. He didn't know, but being in reality the
Buddha, his lack of knowledge just doesn't matter. Your lack of
knowledge of his lack of knowledge doesn't matter, either. Everyone
wins from the Buddha's teachings in the Lotus Sutra, and everyone
loses when the Buddha and his true intent are slandered. It's just
karmic, how these evils arrive on our path.

Avoid the Python's embrace. You've been warned.

Not much else about Python was found to be immediately, obviously
corrupted. There is a CMS using Python and Django called Zorb, that
has a website containing wisdom regarding Zorb named ZorbZen, which
means that group is corrupted by Zen.

Of course, once you find out that the founder has been corrupted by
innovating some new Buddhism, it's all finished for any CMS based on
it.

9. Javascript brings us client side programmability without the Flash
legacy, although there are many things that can only be done in Flash.
Javascript can allow your code to execute with the performance of
desktop software, without any refreshes, if you know what you're
doing. And with AJAX asynchronous push streaming, you can keep the
client side fed from the server, also without refreshes. It's like
magic.

Javascript has little to do with Java, it was invented by Netscape
when the Sun's Java name was hot, and Netscape wanted some of that
heat for its new client side technology.

Here's a riddle: 97% of Web browsers support it, but only 0.001% of
Web sites use it. What is it?

The answer: Client Side Storage. (http://www.slideshare.net/idontsmoke/
client-side-storage)

There are 5 kinds:

. Gears plugin
. WHATWG DB
. WHATWG Global/Session Storage
. DHTML userData Behaviour
. Flash Cookies

Of these five the one you MOST WANT TO AVOID is Google Gears.

Why? Two reasons.

[a.] Google Gears installed base is tiny and diminishing because no
one installs the plugin.

[b.] Google Gears is becoming more wedded to Dojo Offline.

So, following on from the discussion on the martial arts above, a dojo
is a place where a Japanese martial arts "way" (do) is practiced and
learned. If you were paying attention above, this is the last place
you would ever want to be, because of the misfortune it generates in
your life which will ultimately undermine it completely. See these
postings on Bruce and Brandon Lee ...
(http://groups.google.com/group/alt.zen/msg/79d1c98d9512bf9a?hl=en)
and on Bruce Lee's students ...
(http://groups.google.com/group/alt.zen/msg/3a23c9a761540a0a?hl=en)

However Dojo of Javascript got its name, it is completely corrupted by
that choice. Don't let yourself become corrupted by that choice. Use
one of the other methods for Client Side Storage and stay online.

10. Prowling through the Free Software Foundation's (FSF) directory of
projects some years ago, I noticed a gnu, which is nothing unusual.
This GNU logo, however was floating in meditation wearing monk's robes
with a laptop. The product was Savannah or Savane (the relationship
was confusing), which is a central software forge system at FSF.

GNU is the name for the free software operating system, which includes
the GNU kernel (Linux, for now, Hurd, they say for later) and all the
endless variety of GNU tools which make an operating system useful.
The idea of independence from a particular kernel, allows the GNU
operating system to survive the demise or the seeming inadequacy of
the kernel of the moment. So, if you don't like Linux much, just wait.
The GNU tools can run on anything, like FreeBSD, Mach and even
Windows, in large part.

The GNU name itself is a recursive acronym: GNU's Not Unix.

More recently, the meditating monk GNU logo is now found on the splash
screen for the Free Software Foundation itself. (http://www.fsf.org)
That constitutes a promotion for this religious icon.

Is it Hindu meditation? Or Zen meditation? TM? Yoga? Which Tendo
(Heavenly Way) is it?

It certainly is not a Western religion, it is clearly an Eastern one.
All of these religions, East and West, have tax IDs for donations,
priests, temples or centers or churches paid for by donations and
their own religious traditions, which are their right under the First
Amendment of the Constitution. Unpaid advertisements and promotions
are NOT their right, however.

Why has the Free Software Foundation taken upon itself to become an
advertisement and advocate for Tendo meditation? The FSF should purge
itself of ANY religious bias, otherwise it is no better than the Bush
White House, or the Falwell-Reagan conspiracy which led to 25 million
deaths by the AIDS epidemic, which was thought to be a benign 'final
solution' to the gay problem, if AIDS were left to run its course.

Purge yourselves !!!

So, ask yourselves, why do these horrible men, these Philistines like
Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer and Mark Cuban always end up kicking Silicon
Valley's collective ass over and over again?

And it is, apparently, going to happen again with Google.

Personally, I am completely frustrated by this. Google has been a
major tool that I have depended on time and again, and it has rescued
me countless times from ignorance on one area and topic after another.
I owe Google an enormous debt that I can seemingly never repay.

Fortunately, the Lotus Sutra supplies a way to repay my debt of
gratitude, by becoming Google's parent.

From "The Opening of the Eyes", Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, p.
287 ...
(http://www.sgilibrary.org/view.php?page=287)

. I, Nichiren, am sovereign, teacher, and father and
. mother to all the people of Japan. But the men of the
. Tendai school [who do not refute misleading teachings]
. are all great enemies of the people. [As Chang-an has
. noted,] "ONE WHO RIDS THE OFFENDER OF EVIL IS ACTING AS
. HIS PARENT."

To repay my debt of gratitude to Google it is required to speak up and
refute their error, and thus to become Google's parent. It is not
required of me to gain compliance, or even acknowledgement, to avoid
the offense of my own complicity in Google's errors.

From "On Recommending This Teaching to Your Lord and Avoiding the
Offense of Complicity in Slander", WND, p. 461 ...
(http://www.sgilibrary.org/view.php?page=461)

. From the ruler on down to the common people, all have
. become slanderers of the Law whose offense exceeds the
. five cardinal sins. Therefore, all of you are also on
. the side of the ruler. Although at heart you are of the
. same mind as Nichiren, since your person is in service
. to your lord, it would have been extremely difficult for
. you to have avoided the offense of complicity in
. slander. How admirable it is that, despite this, you
. communicated this teaching to your lord and urged him to
. take faith in it. EVEN THOUGH HE MAY FAIL TO ACCEPT IT
. NOW, YOU HAVE MANAGED TO AVOID THE OFFENSE OF
. COMPLICITY.

As always, I defer to your enlightened wisdom as to your collective
choice of path.

If I may be so bold, a better choice than slandering the Lotus Sutra
is to give it the appreciation that it more than deserves.

From "The Blessings of the Lotus Sutra", WND, p. 673 ...
(http://www.sgilibrary.org/view.php?page=673)

. The more gold is heated in the flames, the brighter will
. be its color; the more a sword is whetted, the sharper
. it will become. And the more one praises the blessings
. of the Lotus Sutra, the more one’s own blessings will
. increase. Bear in mind that the twenty-eight chapters of
. the Lotus Sutra contain only a few passages elucidating
. the truth, but a great many words of praise.

That last line is the most beneficial view of life.

This quote from President Ikeda of the SGI describes the true intent
of the Lotus Sutra, and Buddhism itself, before that intent was
waylaid by greedy and scurrilous priests ...

From "A Scripture That Calls Out To All People", The Wisdom of the
Lotus Sutra, Vol. 1 of 6, Daisaku Ikeda et al, p. 45 ...

. In that assertion-that the sutra was taught for the sake
. of those living after Shakyamuni's passing, for the
. people of the Latter Day of the Law -- the compassion of
. the Lotus Sutra, which extends to all people, is
. apparent.
.
. The Lotus Sutra teaches that the "one great reason" why
. Buddhas appear in the world -- in other words, the
. supreme and ultimate purpose for the advent of Buddhas -
. - is to enable all living beings to attain Buddhahood
. (LS2, 31).
.
. This goal cannot be accomplished unless the teachings
. preached by Shakyamuni are also effective for all those
. living after him, particularly those in the defiled age
. of the Latter Day of the Law. It is inconceivable,
. therefore, that the Buddha would fail to leave behind
. teachings for those living in later ages. The Lotus
. Sutra is the compassionate scripture he taught for
. precisely that reason.
.
. Nichiren Daishonin read the Lotus Sutra with his life,
. revealing and propagating Nam-myoho-renge-kyo as the Law
. implicit in this sutra, which is designed to enable all
. people to become happy. The Daishonin was the first to
. demonstrate how to realize the ideal of the Lotus Sutra
. to bring happiness to all people in the Latter Day of
. the Law, when the Buddha's teachings were predicted to
. perish.

The vast majority of people who have heard about the Lotus Sutra and
Nichiren Buddhism, have heard about it through the efforts of this one
man, President Ikeda. It is because of him that I practice Buddhism,
however unworthy a disciple I may appear to be.

-Chas.

LS Chap. 2

If when I encounter living beings
I were in all cases to teach them the Buddha way,
those without wisdom would become confused
and in their bewilderment would fail to accept my teachings.
I know that such living beings have never in the past cultivated good
roots
but have stubbornly clung to the five desires,
and their folly and craving have given rise to affliction.
Their desires are the cause
whereby they fall into the three evil paths,
revolving wheel-like through the six realms of existence
and undergoing every sort of suffering and pain.

This anthology:

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=%22disappointing+zen%22+(%22Toxic+Zen%22+OR+%22Survivor+Gita%22+OR+%2247+U.S.C.+223%22)&scoring=d&num=100&
Kurt
2008-07-05 15:05:53 UTC
In article
Post by Disappointing Zen Stories
Blocked, Again, By Google; High-Tech Zen ^
___ Blocked, In 2006 ____________________
For more than a year from late 2004 to early 2006, there were
successive efforts to block my postings (posted by hand, not by bot)
on Google Groups, previously known as Usenet. This blocking was
specifically to the alt.* groups which are unmoderated and supposedly,
according to the beginnings of Usenet, were originally meant to be the
Wild West of network computing.
<whining snipped>

Reported to Goggle Groups.
b***@MIX.COM
2008-07-05 18:54:47 UTC
Post by Kurt
Post by Disappointing Zen Stories
For more than a year from late 2004 to early 2006, there were
successive efforts to block my postings (posted by hand, not by bot)
Sounds fine to me.
Post by Kurt
Post by Disappointing Zen Stories
on Google Groups, previously known as Usenet. This blocking was
Usenet remains Usenet, regardless of Google's repeated, uninformed,
and just plain clueless, moronic attempts to trash it for the sake of
their own profits.
Post by Kurt
Post by Disappointing Zen Stories
specifically to the alt.* groups which are unmoderated and supposedly,
according to the beginnings of Usenet, were originally meant to be the
Wild West of network computing.
The alt hierarchy was, still is, and always will be an alternative
to the Usenet hierarchy. Only a fucking moron would equate that with
the USA's wild west.
Post by Kurt
<whining snipped>
Reported to Goggle Groups.
Unfortunately, Google won't do a damned thing about it. Or, any
of the other garbage they freely allow to be spewed into news.

Billy Y..
Kurt
2008-07-06 02:10:26 UTC
Post by Kurt
<whining snipped>
Reported to Goggle Groups.
Unfortunately, Google won't do a damned thing about it. Or, any
of the other garbage they freely allow to be spewed into news.
Billy Y..
Chas did get booted once by Google Groups, a credit to them despite
their crappy, truncated portal to Usenet.
Many people use it, so it's still probably a good thing.
b***@MIX.COM
2008-07-08 17:37:51 UTC
Post by Kurt
Chas did get booted once by Google Groups, a credit to them despite
their crappy, truncated portal to Usenet.
Wow. It also speaks volumes about what crap Chas is spewing.
Not to mention I can no longer rag on Google for never doing
anything.....

Billy Y..

juanjo
2008-07-07 08:37:24 UTC
Post by Disappointing Zen Stories
Blocked, Again, By Google; High-Tech Zen ^
snip of whining rant
Post by Disappointing Zen Stories
To analyze the content filtering, I took my blocked post entitled
"Makiguchi's Pacifism Confirmed, and Putative Scholar Brian Victoria's
Inaccurate Cherry-Picking Research Exposed, for Jon Petry -".
That post describes a concerted and intense cowardly Zen attack
(supported by Nichiren Shoshu and other temples) on the deceased
founder of the SGI, Tsunesaburo Makiguchi. (If I describe it too much
here, this post will be blocked, too. So, go read it there.)
snip of more whining

Poor Chas, mentally deficient but loyal little Ikedabot. Each time he
posts his SGI mindless crap twisting the words of Nichiren Shonin to
fit the cult view he follows, he gets his head handed to him. He can
rewrite history all he wants but history has presented the evidence
which shows his view is a twisted and distorted presentation not even
close to reality. Further he ignores the simple fact it is not a Zen
attack nor an attack by anyone else but simply people tired of his
lies who finally had enough and used the words of scholars the SGI has
itself used in the past to refute him and his silly conclusions.
Cody
2008-07-07 10:54:46 UTC
Post by juanjo
[...]
Jon isn't a member of SGI. He has his own sect.

Cody